Wednesday 6 February 2013

Proofreading - even more Yikes!

Today I received a hard copy of my book for proofreading.  Well!  I thought writing it was a bit like work but this really is.

I was quite excited to get the package (and to be honest still am) and immediately after my real man went off to work I settled down to business. 








Delighted!













Getting down to business.













Spreading out (notice the "leftover" Christmas chocolate to keep my strength up)








Crikey - lucky I've got my glass of wine and lucky pig!







I was really pleased to see that my editor had kept in all my little jokes and asides but there were (what do I mean were??? I've barely started) quite a few things to check out, change or correct.  Nothing big but still there! 

This is the first time I have seen the book paginated and as it is severely cross referenced I have to (I assume) put the correct pages where it says "(pOO)" - not poo! - which requires a lot of flicking about.  This is the first time I have ever done this so I am learning as I go, I hope.

~    I have been using a gel pen but I realise now that when I was told to use a biro that was probably for the best.
~    With all the cross checking I have decided to keep a handy list of the most referred to pages.
~    I am going to hang my glasses on a string round my neck because I need them to read print in artificial light but can't see the computer screen properly with them on.
~    I shall try to remember to keep the fire topped up with wood and to stretch now and then.

In other News ... 

I get a newsletter from Writers Digest and a recent article concerned "5 Things that should be on Every Writer's Bucket List" and I am delighted to have accomplished the last one on the list which is ...

"5.  Live poor for a few months (or years)"

You may then wonder why there are so many fresh flowers in the photos above well they cost 15p a bunch!  We're very good at bargains.


Goodnight 

Suzy Bowler