Friday 29 March 2013

Published ~ now I'm a real grown up writer!

Today, 29th March, is quite important to me because I am now a published writer!  My first book (yes, I have another one planned!) "The Leftovers Handbook" is now available in all good bookshops, I hope, I can't wait to meet it.



I have been looking forward to this day in particular for several months and in general, ie. the day I would have a book published, probably since I was a child.  And guess what!  It's the same as every other day. 





I should have been forewarned; in the excellent "Writers and Artists' Yearbook  Guide to Getting Published" by Harry Bingham
it says ...

"When your book is published ~ nothing happens."





Still - exciting times!  I am now pondering the best way to promote said book and a bit iffy about peaking too early it being  Good Friday when everyone is on holiday enjoying the spring weather (hahaha).  I have noticed, incidentally, that I get most hits on my blogs on weekdays during working hours - what a lot of cheeky buggers people are!

So this is a little, tentative self congratulation and I thought I'd take this opportunity to tell you a bit about my book.

As the title says - the book is an "A-Z of every conceivable ingredient in your kitchen with inspirational ideas and recipes for using them" but I can tell you more than that.  Leftovers have always been my favourite ingredient; I am much happier and more creative confronted with a seemingly random collection of ingredients than I ever am when I can choose from pretty well all the food in the World!  It is for this reason that I started my blog Sudden Lunch! which led to my huge friend Ian (he's 6'6") saying "If you know so much about leftovers why don't you write a book".

Each of the ingredients in the A-Z starts with some ideas on food pairing which are useful to see what other leftovers you might be able to use at the same time.  There are some ideas on storage and freezing, the occasional Handy Hint, a list of short suggestions and ideas, some complete recipes and any jokes, anecdotes or quotes I have thought relevant.  Towards the end of the book I give a chapter of basic recipes which can be useful for all sorts of leftovers and the whole book is cross referenced.  I am very proud of it!

Because the book is so stuffed with info there are no photos, just a few basic line drawings at the start of each letter.  I have, however, taken lots and lots of pics as I've cooked and tested ideas and these I will now start publishing on my new Pinterest Board which goes live today.

Soon I hope to install a widget so that my books and other that I recommend can be purchased from Amazon via my sidebar but do fee free to go ahead and get a copy any way you can eg. Amazon in the UK or W. H.Smiths or Amazon in the States.
I do so hope you find my suggestions and recipes useful and, if you do read the book, please can I ask you to give it a review on Amazon - its such as help.

Thank you,

Suzy Bowler