Tuesday 9 April 2013

A bit surprised by the Writer and Artists Yearbook



I have been eagerly awaiting my 2013 Artists and Writers' Yearbook so that I could research magazines I'd like to pitch now I have the strength of a published book behind me.  I have already written several articles for Vegetarian Living but was surprised to see they are not mentioned in the yearbook. 

Soon after that I was surprised to see that Cook Vegetarian was not in there.  My third surprise came when I decided to try Great British Food - not there!  These are surely 3 of the leading UK foodie mags (after Delicious, of course, and some of the Beeb's magazines).  Eat In? - no.  Easy Food - no. Good to Know Recipes? - um, no. 

That's about it for food magazines, I haven't fully researched other subject matters but I would have thought the above magazines would all have been bigger sellers than, say, Picture Postcard Monthly or Music Teacher.  Not that I in any way mean to disparage these two magazine, rather I wish to parage the food magazine mentioned above, if paraging is something one can do.

I'm still glad to get the Yearbook and there's lots of useful info in it (I found my lovely agent Jen Christie of Graham Mae Christie through an earlier edition) but does anyone know how they select which publications to include?  

Thank you,

Suzy Bowler